Been thinking about this old favourite lately and finally found the recipe. MUST make this dude again. Spicy wingy goodness!
- 60ml (1/4 cup) maple syrup
- 6-8 chicken wings
- 60ml (1/4 cup) bourbon whiskey (a great alternative is to use a Honey Bourbon!)
- 2 teaspoons red Tabasco pepper sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Large pinch of cayenne pepper
- Optional splash of your favourite hot chilli sauce to spice things up
Blue Cheese Sauce
- 75g (1/4 cup) light sour cream
- 65g (1/4 cup) mayonnaise
- 80g Castello blue cheese, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
Discard the tips from each chicken wing. Cut the wings in half at the joint and place, in a single layer, in a shallow large glass or ovenproof dish.
Combine the maple syrup, bourbon, Tabasco sauce, garlic, cumin and cayenne pepper in a jug. Pour over the chicken and turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 6 hours to marinate.
Definitely needs a nice marinating period
Preheat oven to 200°C. Remove the wrap. Bake in oven, turning occasionally, for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the chicken is golden and how you like it.
Meanwhile, to make the blue cheese sauce, place the sour cream, mayonnaise, blue cheese, lemon juice and garlic in the jug of a blender and blend until smooth.
I think it’s best with this to add in half of the blue cheese first to see how much you like and then keep adding to taste.
Transfer chicken to a serving platter and serve with the sauce.